Thursday, January 12, 2006
John 12:23-26 (New International Version)
23Jesus replied, "The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 24I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. 25The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me.
Yesterday, I was reading this passage for my devotion. I was especially drawn to v25-26
25The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me.The man who loves life will lose it. What is life? Is it the daily things that we do, those things that we love, things that we yearns to have or to own?
Can I call them life?
Or if my work that i've been immersing in with takes my main focus away? Or my position in the company or my ministry that I am in that brings me aways from my primary purpose? Can I call them my life? If can, then it shall be.
I am still contemplating with this issue... Loving my life (work, ministry) will lose it but hates life, will gain it for eternal life.
If loving my life (being possessive) mean if I hold it (work, ministry) very tight to myself, refusing to let go irregardless of what happens resulting me losing it... Then what then is hating it (life).
Hates is a strong word... but why do we need to hate our lives but will keep it for eternal life? I think the word hates here refers to "not loving", "not possessive".
When I unselfishly render / surrender my life(aspiration, dreams, goals,work, my ministry) back to God and remindfully know that all I have comes from God and He is the Giver of all good things. James 1:17. Then I learn to surrender what God gives.
Maybe you are thinking: "Do I really love my life like what Tommy had said?" Or you might be asking: " Is that true?" Or "Am I like the man?"
It is when we starts to give up our rights, we gain our perspectives. I believe in my own opinion this " Giving up of our rights" applies to all issues, things & situation.
Look at V26. 26 Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me.He who serves, will follow Christ. Where Christ is, His servant (children) also will be.
Christ serves, not wait to be serves! Christ went to the lowly and serves! When we began to serve among the lowly, we are actually bring God's love to them.
And here's the promise of GOd on V26 last part:
My Father will honor the one who serves me.
He who serves the lowly for the Lord will be honoured! He who serves, God honoured!
Are you struggling to keep your life (work, goals, ministry) in control?
Why not learn to surrender? Why not learn to serve? Serve the lowly. Phil 2:5-11
Just sharing my thought on my devotion. May you be bless.
This is how all things worked...
Thursday, January 12, 2006